CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

COME FULL CIRCLE

This is a digital scrapbook of our journey to complete our family in Vietnam.

Vietnam Flag

Ava's Ticker

Site Counter

5/21/2009

New Milestones

This week has been a week of milestones. Since Michael's new job takes him on the road more frequently, we decided to put Sebastian in the before school program for the rest of the school year (which is about 1 1/2 months). So now I take the kids to the daycare every morning before work. Every morning, Sebastian will only give me a kiss and hug in the kitchen or in the car. But once he reaches the classroom, he will not have anything to do with me. I'll casually walk in the classroom and say "have a good day" and I'll reach over to hug him and he'll murmur under his clenched teeth, "okay, but we already hugged". I'll get that look like "don't even think about it!". It's not cool to display any PDA in front of the other kids. Now I knew this day would come eventually but I didn't think it was this year!! I have gotten better now that I've had a week of "practice" of not reaching over and squeezing the stuffing out of my son. Now Sebastian will stop in the hallway and say "you'd better give me a hug before we reach the door Mommy."






The next big event this week (for me that is), Ava is starting to finally put three word sentences together. Yesterday I was getting Ava ready for daycare. She was sitting on the kitchen table so I could put her shoes on. She had a green ball in her hand and she was saying "Ball, Ball" and I told her she had a ball in her hand. She pointed towards the basement and said ball again. I said again, "Ava, you already have a ball." and she replied "the other ball." I had to do a double take because I wasn't expecting her to respond to me like that. She usually communicates her wants by pointing and grunting because she's usually frustrated that she can't get the words out. But in the past few weeks, she has been observing her environment and things are starting to "soak in" with her. Especially during the day at the daycare. The teachers tell me she is doing a lot more talking now. Of course I'm missing all of it!! :-( It feels like I have been waiting forever to hear Ava "talk". We were spoiled with Sebastian being an early talker and it's not fair to make the comparison considering we know Ava had a rough start in language. My heart really did skip a beat when I heard Ava talk back to me. Trust me, in a year I'm probably going to eat my words but for right now, her verbalization is music to my ears!



























The good news is that my little man still LOVES storytime. It's the one thing he really looks forward to at the end of the day, no matter if he had a good day or not. That will be another milestone I'll be sad to see go. But we have several years before worrying about that ;-)

0 comments: