CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

COME FULL CIRCLE

This is a digital scrapbook of our journey to complete our family in Vietnam.

Vietnam Flag

Ava's Ticker

Site Counter

6/26/2009

Near Miss

June 13th was kind of a chaotic day.  We had the piano recital in the morning, a house showing at lunchtime and a birthday party at 3 p.m.  Sebastian had invited three friends for a movie, dinner and slumber party.   This was his first sleepover party.

So four hours before the kids are due to arrive, we leave the piano recital and head for the car.  I step across the grass and didn't see the hole in the ground.  My ankle gives out, I lose my balance and topple over.  Instead of landing in the grass, I fall on the sidewalk ledge.  At least I didn't fall completely off the sidewalk. But I landed on some broken pieces of sidewalk concrete (with jagged edges).  

I stood back up after the initial shock and my leg was bleeding.  Michael thought I broke my leg and Sebastian starts to get upset after he sees the blood gushing.  I didn't break anything...trust me, I think I would have known the minute I stood up.  We both assess that I should go to the hospital and see if I needed stitches.  The wound wasn't very big but the gash looked pretty deep.  So I told Michael to take the kids home so Ava can take her nap and I would drive myself to the hospital.  That's when my little man says between tears, "Mommy, I don't care about my birthday party.  I just want you to go to the hospital so they can fix your broken leg."  He's my wonder boy!  In summary, I drove to the hospital and was in and out within two hours.  It was a near miss all day!


Was this the best way to ruin an eight year old birthday party or what?  I thought I was through with stitches.  I've had my share of stitches in Vietnam when I was two and a half yrs old.  The doctors had to remove the shrapnel from my hip and sew me back up.  I have a scar about twelve inches long as a souvenir.  What's another scar!

Guess I don't have to shave my legs anymore.

Cleaning out the wound

Hey, looks a lot better....right?  What do you mean I need three stitches!

Okay, I know what your'e going to say....yes, I take photos of everything!! Even when I'm in excruciating pain. Now I know how Sebastian felt when he got his stitches on his eye when he was three yrs old. Although I think the shot was a LOT more painful for him since it was right under his eyebrow. OUCHY MOMMA! Yes, I screamed and yelped!

I told the doctor I could thread the needle for him...ha ha!

Good to go!  My leg was numb the entire day.  I didn't get the feeling back until the next morning.


0 comments: