CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

COME FULL CIRCLE

This is a digital scrapbook of our journey to complete our family in Vietnam.

Vietnam Flag

Ava's Ticker

Site Counter

10/05/2009

Bonfire and Welcome Home Party

Michael and I went to my friend's house on Saturday night for a Welcome Home celebration and bonfire party. I have been friend's with Laurie for about 14 years. We use to work together and we sat next to each other for about two years. We have kept in touch all these years and try to get together every so often. But she has three kids and we have two, so you know how that goes.

Laurie's son just came back from his second tour in Iraq. This was the welcome home sign hangiing in their garage/truck hanger.
This is Laurie ;-) She's trying to tell me to put the camera away. I wonder if it's the wine that's making her laugh?

The dog on the right is Auggie (Laurie's dog). He is a Pomeranian. The dog on the left is what Auggie is suppose to look like. Laurie couldn't stand the dirt and burrs he was bringing in so she shaved him all over except his head. We were trying to decide if Auggie was an Ewok from Star Wars or the Lion King. Poor puppy :-)
This is Hanna, Laurie's daughter. Hanna was my flower girl in my wedding. She was 11 yrs old at the time. She turned 21 this year!! I feel so old........
This is the host of the party (Laurie's husband). He's introducing the band and threatening, I mean encouraging everybody to dance.
Hanna and her brother Zach. Zach is the reason we are celebrating his safe return home. I remember when we took Zach and my oldest nephew to a ball game when they were seven years old. Now Zach is all grown up AND served our country twice!
They had flag banners outlining the yard. I tried to capture it through the bonfire flames but it didn't come out so well since I was taking the picture with my iphone. My digital camera battery died on me so I had to use my iphone for most of the night.
This is what I meant by "garage/truck hanger". The garage is large to fit an eighteen wheeler because Laurie's husband drives the big rig. The band they hired that night was set up in the garage.
It was a full moon and the weather was cool and crisp. Perfect for a bonfire.
Here is Michael sipping wine and enjoying great band music. Michael was in seventh heaven because the band played blue's music. Everything from Hendrix to Stevie Ray Vaughn, Zappa to Led Zeppelin. I don't normally listen to the blue's but I admit, the band was fantastic that I was screaming on top of my lungs. It was like a free outdoor concert!
People were dancing on the grass.
Dancing in the garage.
Here's the bonfire. If you look closely, there's a chair at the top of the stack.
We look like glow in the dark pumpkin heads, don't we? This was the bonfire side effect ;-)
Zach came up to make a little speech. In this picture, he was pointing to his other three friends from his squad/troop. He said that they put the party together in remembrance of the other friends that didn't get to come home. Then we had a moment of silence. We all went up to each of the soldiers and hugged them and told them how proud we were of them and thanked them for serving our country. It was the only thing I could do. Nothing I could do or say to repay them back.

0 comments: